The Merlin Foundation

This site is to be used for open and honest discussions which lead to the improvement of life for Women, Children and Families. NOTE: To post a comment click on the topic (recent posts) listed on the left. A comment button will be at the bottom of the page. To e-mail a column to a friend, click on the envelope at the bottom of the post.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Green Forest, Arkansas, United States

We are a non-profit organization located in Green Forest, Arkansas serving women, children and families. To view our programs or to contact us please go to our website merlinfoundation.com.

Friday, August 10, 2007

Why Continue

In our business we work with people who are experiencing what is often the most emotionally devastating and painful days of their lives. One minute we are talking to the Mother of a molested child, often abused by a trusted family member. Later the same day we listen to the fear in the voice of a woman who has just been told she needs to have that lump biopsied. Sometimes it is talking to a little girl in our play area after her interview assuring her she didn’t do anything wrong by “telling”.

Once in awhile someone will tell us that so and so said something bad about me personally or our work. The first thought in one’s head is “why continue…does anyone really care?” Or when the money is tight and Anita and I dig into our savings to buy a 16 year old single mother diapers for her new baby. “Do people really care about people?” It is very evident they care about big buildings, but do they really care about people?

Then it happens as it did last week when I received a call on my cell phone from Tom Riddle a local businessman. He has seen our 1995 Villager mini-van and asked how many miles we had on it. “A little over 238,000.” I replied. Anyway he asked if we could get by with a car or if we really needed a mini. Then he said to go by David Davis Chevrolet and check out the Malibu. I did and called him back with a big, you bet it would work.

The next morning there was another call from Tom. If you had a choice would you like white or gold? I said white. “Well.’” he said. “I want you to meet with David Davis, Judy and me tomorrow morning at David’s Dealership. Judy, Tom's lovely wife, and I want to donate a Malibu to your Foundation.”

The next morning there it was a beautiful white Malibu with all the trimmings. It was hard to even talk to the reporters. I’m, this is no surprise to my friends, quite emotional and find it extremely difficult to hold to the male standard of no water in the eyes on such occasions. I think I pulled it off, at least while the press was there, but I assure you it wasn’t easy.

I’m so very thankful for this gift which will reduce our maintenance, our gas bill and give our clients a great ride. We had to replace the starter on the mini-van a few weeks ago for just under $300. That took away our ability to help a child. In a month with this new car we have that money back on fuel savings alone.

Thank you Tom, Judy and David. You and others who unselfishly support our work is exactly why we have continued for 14 years. Some people care as much as we do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home