The Merlin Foundation

This site is to be used for open and honest discussions which lead to the improvement of life for Women, Children and Families. NOTE: To post a comment click on the topic (recent posts) listed on the left. A comment button will be at the bottom of the page. To e-mail a column to a friend, click on the envelope at the bottom of the post.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Green Forest, Arkansas, United States

We are a non-profit organization located in Green Forest, Arkansas serving women, children and families. To view our programs or to contact us please go to our website merlinfoundation.com.

Saturday, February 09, 2008

A Day Off

It is Saturday and I've decided to take the day off from my basic Foundation duties. Cleaned up around my work area, but mostly just took a little time to think and get back on track. I’ve made the statement many times lately that everything seems to be going so fast. I wish others would have replied that they disagreed with me, but so far everyone has said something like “sure does”.

It is sad that we are all on the merry-go-round turning at high speed. I think we are missing a lot of the quality available to us on life’s journey. Those quality parts that make for smiles when we get old and can no longer find a whole lot to smile about.

I was talking to a friend the other day about her experience of going on family vacations. She smiled, a very important comment in itself, and began to tell me several of the places they all went and exactly which month they went. Down to the exact week of the month.

Later, I was reflecting, as I am now that I have not taken a vacation, at least nothing more than a day trip, since starting the Foundation in 1993. That means two things. One, I have gone almost 15 years without taking a vacation and two, I’m not very smart.

I am so quick to say that the family unit in America has nearly vanished. A family together and families together are the glue that holds the delicate threads of civilized society together. I can’t help but wonder if I, a advocate for children and families, am walking my talk. Surely not, at least based on my behavior over these past 15 years.

Perhaps this is going to be the final tear in the fabric of our society. When those of us who are blessed with the job of trying to hold lives together lose their own. Perhaps that is the tipping point where we have lost the battle. Are we, the helpers, failing to walk in the steps of our great teachers?

I’m glad I took a little time off on this windy Saturday to think and reflect. To look at myself and to get back on track. Well, at least see the direction to take. Back to who I am, what I believe and to walk my talk. If I don’t I would be of no more value than the majority of our politicians whose talk is so very different from their walk.

I urge you to take a day or even a week and rediscover your personal philosophy. See if you are living it or living with the rest of the mice on the wheel. Me I’m scheduling a vacation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this thought. I , too, ponder when I can slow down and with that I realize I have to make myself. We plan a full day often to break the routine of things and when Monday comes around, even though its back to the mouse wheel, we feel ready for it.

April 10, 2008 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home